Alimony/Separate Maintenance/Spousal Support

The payment after marriage by one person to the other is commonly known as alimony. In Texas, it is referred to as spousal support or separate maintenance. Two specific conditions must be met if separate maintenance can be awarded in Texas:

  • First, the marriage in question must have lasted 10 years or more.
  • Second, the spouse who is not the wage earner must not have readily marketable skills outside the house.

The awarding of such maintenance can have a huge financial effect. You definitely need a skilled Plano family lawyer if you are divorcing and are unclear as to how these guidelines affect you.

Regardless of which side of the issue you are on, there are many facts and circumstances that must be determined. This is often a discretionary call by the court as to maintenance. A lawyer who can put you in the very best position is absolutely necessary to your long-term well-being once the marriage ends.

For 30 years of successful practice in family law and divorce, Joseph A. Barbknecht has guided individuals, couples and families throughout the Dallas Metroplex to favorable outcomes in matters of alimony and child support, and inmodifications of those obligations.

Are you receiving too little alimony or paying too much after your divorce? Are you seeking financial support at the end of a same-sex relationship? Are you under pressure to continue the full amount of regular spousal support payments after you have lost your job?

In every alimony matter we handle for our clients, at these difficult times in their lives, our mission statement is the same: You can count on us to help get you through this.

Contact The Barbknecht Firm, P.C. We welcome the opportunity to sit down with you, get to know you, explain guidelines in the Texas alimony calculator, and listen to your goals for the alimony phase of your divorce. Your initial consultation is totally confidential and free of charge.

Experienced Plano Divorce Attorney Handling Alimony And Spousal Maintenance Issues

Our toll-free number is 972-312-1510, and we can also be reached by email.